Acupuncture for Cats in Portland
Appointments last 30 minutes:
- You and your cat get comfortable in the room. Dr. Mandi designed and build large benches for her exam rooms so that you and your cat can sit comfortably together during treatment. Some cats prefer the floor and that’s OK too! Some pets like our big mat on the floor and still others want the big blanket on the bench. Many times Dr. Mandi will treat small dogs and cats on your lap. We make notes of your pet’s preferences so their comfort zone is repeated on each visit.
- Dr. Mandi will review your pet’s history. If it is your first visit, we will complete a full physical exam before treatment. If we are following up from previous treatments, we will discuss your pet’s response to treatment and if there are new issues to address.
- Needles are placed. Acupuncture needles are much smaller than a needle used for injection. Many times cats don’t even notice their application. If there is a sensitive point, generally there is an initial pinch and then it dissipates. Dr. Mandi removes any needle that is uncomfortable (which doesn’t happen often).
- You and your pet relax together for about 10 minutes. Your cat will not lay on needles in a dangerous way, they know to stay comfortable. Depending on your pet’s condition the needles may be treated with a warming herb, or we may apply electrical stimulation. Most cats relax very deeply with acupuncture, getting heavy eyelids, giving us big comfy sighs and even going to sleep.
- Dr. Mandi removes the needles and discusses further treatment with you. Additional therapeutic modalities can be added also such as laser, physiotherapy and/or underwater treadmill therapy.
Dr. Mandi cares deeply about her patients and their families as she adeptly administers to each patient’s medical needs through traditional and alternative medicines. She compassionately administered her wise placement of acupuncture needles to enhance and increase the “lives” of my cat, sweet Charlotte, Elizabeth and my gentle devoted dog Knanook.
Currently, she “needles” my 29 year old dream horse Catalena, and my six year old cuddle cat, Midnight. Because of her ability to collaborate with other veterinarians, her willingness to search for answers and her well-honed veterinary skills, Dr. Mandi continues to add quality, healthier time to my animal’s lives.
Conditions Treated with Acupuncture for Pets
When most people think of acupuncture for dogs & cats, they think of pain control — and for most dog patients that is what we do. However, acupuncture can be used to address other neuromuscular disorders such as paralysis, immunological disorders, neurological disorders (such as seizures), as well as gastro-intestinal and metabolic conditions, just to name just a few. Acupuncture is a wonderful complement to Western therapies for dogs & cats, and a viable alternative when conventional medicine has not worked or has caused undesirable side effects. Many pet owners choose to use acupuncture proactively in their pets to optimize good health, and to help minimize problems associated with aging.
Conditions Commonly Treated with Acupuncture for Pets
- Arthritis/joint problems
- Back pain
- Bladder/Kidney problems
- Disc disease
- Health maintenance
- Hormone deficiencies (Cushings, Addisons)
- Immune system deficiency
- Knee pain/neck pain/stiffness
- Pain relief
- Shoulder pain
- Side effects to chemotherapy
- Skin problems
- Sprains and strains
- Surgery rehabilitation
- Weight control
- Well-being in cancer patients
About Healing Arts Animal Care
Healing Arts Animal Care in Beaverton, Oregon provides veterinary acupuncture, pet rehabilitation therapy, physical therapy and athletic conditioning to the dogs and cats of the Portland, Oregon Metro Area including Hillsboro, Lake Oswego, and Tualatin. We strive to create a team among you, your pet, your veterinarian and ourselves to create a whole package of care for your pet. Pets come through our door knowing that we’re going to have fun here and this isn’t “another trip to the vet.” Through manual therapies, acupuncture, laser, ultrasound, underwater treadmill and creating a tailored individual home exercises, we strive to bring your injured pet back to speed, keep your elderly pet as an active member of the family, return your obese pet back to a functional friend and keep your athletic pet at the peak of his performance.